Stain proof? [Cue evil laughter!] I know furniture sales people like to say their furniture is stain proof, but they haven’t met my family! Sometimes messes happen and sometimes you just need to do a deep clean periodically, but if you are like me, cleaning your microfiber couch might just stress you out a bit. It is so soft and so cozy that you just don’t want to mess that up, so there are some things you need to know to do this right. If you need to know how to clean a microfiber couch with a carpet shampooer, you have come to the right place.
Prep and Go!
As with most projects, the prep work will often dictate the finished product. Cleaning your microfiber couch is no different.
- Step 1: Vacuum your couch to remove any debris or surface dirt to avoid making your job harder. Be sure to separate any removable parts or cushions to get all sides.
- Step 2: Do colorfast test on a small area (see next section) with the solution of your choice. Once you are happy with the result, you are ready for step 3. NOTE: Very important to do the colorfast test before beginning if it is the first time you are cleaning the couch. Do NOT skip this step.
- Step 3: After you have determined what solution to use, spot clean any more heavily soiled areas. It is important on microfiber that you apply the least amount of pressure and coarseness needed so as to maintain its softness. If the grime doesn’t come off, increase pressure and coarseness. You might use a soft scrub brush or kitchen towel for especially deep stains but you don’t want to rub away the soft texture, so you have to weigh the pressure based on the situation.It is a bit of a balancing act between how much pressure and friction you want to put on an area versus doing any damage to the fabric. Once you have removed the heaviest areas of soiling, going over the whole thing should even out the cleaning.
- Step 4: After you have color-tested per the Solutions Key instructions, spray any more heavily soiled sections lightly with alcohol-water or upholstery cleaner solution. Use the carpet shampooer to clean the couch section by section according to your user manual.Overlap each pass as you move across each cushion – this will help avoid leaving any lines as it dries. You may need to go over the whole couch again if it is heavily soiled; however, avoid over saturating.
- Step 5: After the couch dries (will dry faster if you use the alcohol solution), use a soft bristle brush on any areas that have stiffened. Don’t be alarmed if this happens as it should soften back up after brushing.
Solutions Key – Spot Test
Depending on the material, it is prudent to be sure you have the right solution that won’t create more of a problem than you started with. You certainly don’t want to try to remove a little spot and end up with a large bleached or faded circle.
There should be a manufacturer’s tag to identify the fabric cleaning code so that you know which detergents or solvents are suitable to use without discoloring the fabric. Here is a key: X-vacuum only, W-water based cleaners, S-solvent cleaner and S-W means basically any of those will work. My favorite solution is a half and half solution of alcohol and water.
This works especially well on lighter color materials but can be weakened with even more water on darker colors as long as you test it first.
Once you know what types of cleaners you are able to use, test a tiny area either under cushions, along underside or some other unlikely to be seen spot to be sure it doesn’t discolor the fabric. Let the area dry completely before using on the rest of the couch or in any visible areas. If you want this to go faster, you can use a hairdryer to get the test area dry so that you are able to move on without a long wait.
How to Organically Clean Your Microfiber Couch
For those with allergies and sensitivities, or if you simply like to be as organic and green as possible, you can make your own cleaners with simple ingredients at home. Just check both your machine manufacturer’s instructions and do your colorfast testing before moving forward.
You are sure to have your favorite in now time and most at home cleaners are cost-friendly. Here are some of my favorite solutions and their ratios:
- five tablespoons white vinegar to a cup of water
- six tablespoons soap flakes mixed with a pint of boiling water
- 1 cup carbonated water, 1/2 cup vinegar, 4 tablespoons dish detergent, 4 to 8 drops citrus essential oil
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, ½ cup distilled white vinegar, 3 to 4 drops essential oil of your choice
Any of these options should give you a clean finish while keeping it green!
Choosing a Carpet Shampooer for the Job
Most carpet shampooers can get the job done but Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Machine is my favorite to have all-around and it is well equipped to clean your microfiber couch with ease and professionalism. It has the years of quality in the Hoover brand which is reinforced with high Amazon ratings by customers at a very reasonable price.
This machine is a deep cleaner that will lift the toughest dirt with its dual nozzle for even suction. It is less than 19 pounds, so you don’t need to be a bodybuilder to use it. Heated forced air helps speed drying time and it includes a sample bottle of solution, a stair tool, crevice tool and the very important upholstery tool needed to clean your couch the right way. The removable tank is easy to take off and to clean and refill. This is an all-around great machine to have in general but the perfect option for cleaning your microfiber couch.
One More Idea
Kids or pets have your chasing your tail on the cleaning front? Don’t have space for a larger carpet shampooer in your home but really need one? Depending on your lifestyle and situation, you might need a dedicated upholstery cleaning tool and the Bissell Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner is too good not to mention. The majority of reviewers give it a five-star rating because it is less than ten pounds, so easy to carry around and store easily in a small space. It is notably simple to fill and empty as well.
What I really like is its versatility while being so small – this can be used to spot clean carpet, upholstery, car interiors and even stairs. Its small size allows a sort of quick grab and go mentality that makes it convenient to use. Although I wasn’t really planning to talk about two different carpet shampooers, this one could be ideal for those who find themselves needing to shampoo smaller jobs more often or with less storage space.
If you need to know how to clean microfiber couch with a carpet shampooer, you can follow these steps to do it right. Really, this would work for almost any couch but if you use this procedure, you can be sure not to ruin the teddy bear softness of your microfiber and know your house is as clean as it can be. If you already have a carpet shampooer, you may not have really thought about cleaning your furniture with it, but this is definitely one way to give your home that extra polish and keep it in model home shape.