Best Router Bit Sets Comparison Reviews (2019): Little Details Mean A Lot
Adding a router to your shop is exciting, but your excellent new tool is nothing without an equally capable bit set. With all the options out there choosing the ideal bit set can be something of a challenge.
Don’t let that challenge stress you out. We are here to help! Read on for a list of the best router bit sets on the market!
- 1 Benefits of a Router Bit Set
- 2 Best Router Bit Sets
In the next few paragraphs we are going to take an in-depth look at some of the best sets available, but if you want a spoiler, I’ll tell you my favorite right now. For my money, the Stalwart set comes out on top here.
It is a great product that offers a lot of value with its options. That’s just my pick, of course. You will have to decide for yourself.
Benefits of a Router Bit Set
if you already own a router, you’ re well aware of the reasons you need a bit set, but if you’re new to the tool and haven’t decided if you would like to add a router/bit set to your shop here are a few of the benefits.
- Powerful: This applies more to the actual router than the bit set, but it is a powerful tool capable of making a wide variety of cuts.
- Versatile: The router is useful for an extensive variety of jobs, from cutting grooves, to making joints. The versatility can be attributed in part to the extensive options that a good bit set offers.
- Portable: Both the router and the bit set are relatively straightforward to move, which makes them great both for storage around the shop, and to transport them to different locations.
Best Router Bit Sets
You might remember the Stalwart from my previous article, where I listed it as my choice for the best buying option on this list because of its price and versatility. Let’s take a look at the features so you can decide for yourself if it’s the right set for you.
- Built To Fit:The 1/4th-inch shank is designed to fit all routers, so there is no need to worry whether or not this product is compatible with the tool that you have at home.
- Extensive Options: You’re getting a lot out of the twenty-four pieces that make up this set. Each is of a high-quality, designed to offer you the ability to quickly perform the popular cuts that you are looking for.
- Durable: Durable is always a word to look for as you shop for tools, and it fits this product nicely. You can approach your work with confidence using this set.
This next high-quality set does not come with quite as extensive the list as the last set that we looked at, but it is nevertheless a good buying option for those looking for a reliable tool. Let’s take a look at the features now so you can decide for yourself if it is a worthwhile purchase.
- Versatile: No, you aren’t getting quite as many bits with this set as you were going with the last one but that does not mean you are without options. The fifteen pieces will still leave you equipped to perform most cuts.
- Carbon Dipped: You will recall that durable is a word to look for as you shop for tools. These carbon dipped tips are certainly that.
- Portable: The 6077 also comes with a durable, high-quality wooden carrying case so that you can keep your bits organized in your shop, and travel with them easily when the need presents itself.
This next set is also from MLCS, which means that you can count on getting a quality buying option. Again, let’s take a closer look at the features to determine if this is the one to take home.
- Durable: You are getting the same high-quality carbon dipped construction with this set that we saw in the last one. You can be sure that if you decide you want to take this set home, it will last a long time.
- Different Options: On the surface, this set is very much like the last one that we looked at. The only difference is that while the previous model featured 1/4 the-inch shanks, this one features ½ inch shanks, making it slightly more versatile, for nearly the same price.
- Storage: You are also getting the same high-grade wood storage box with this model that you are getting the last set we looked at. It’s a simple feature, yes, but there is no denying that it comes in handy.
The EDMGB is the most expensive set we have looked at so far on this list, but in this case, your money is buying you a lot of options, and high-quality construction. As always, let’s now take a look at the features to determine if this is the one for you.
- Durable: These router bits are Tungsten Carbide tipped—a strong material that should fit the needs of any job nicely.
- Many Options: Like the first set we looked at, this one comes with 35 pieces, meaning you have thirty-five unique ways to do whatever job you require. The more versatile the set, the better!
- Aluminum Case: Again, I’m not going to pretend that the case is the most exciting aspect of any tool, but it’s something that you need to do the job on the go, and of course it is necessary for storage as well. This case is made of a lightweight, durable aluminum making transporting your router bits simple.
To say that the final set we will be looking at comes fully loaded is something of an understatement. The Yonico comes in at 70 bits, dwarfing any of the other sets we have looked at on this list. Of course, all those extra options come at a price. Let’s one last time take a look at the features to determine if the Yonico is worth the extra dollars.
- Lots of Options: We said it once, but to do the Yonico set justice, we will say it again; This set comes with seventy router bits, which should leave you well equipped to do any job that you need to be done.
- Durable: The body of these bits is made of hardened steel, and tipped with Carbide for a durable product that you count on to last for a long time. Speaking of which….
- Lifetime Warranty: You don’t expect tools to go bad, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. When that happens, a life time guarantee can make all the difference. Fortunately, this product has one.
Now that you know you want to buy a good router bit set, and you are a little bit more familiar with what is out there, let’s take a look at a couple buying considerations that will make sure you get the most bang for your buck.
- Quantity: Quantity can be both a pro and con. It depends on what you are looking for out of your set. While having a lot of options is nice you also don’t want to pay for things that you don’t need. Before you look into buying your router bit set, consider what you need to get out of it, and buy for the jobs you know you will end up needing them for.
- Durability: You probably noticed the word strength pop up a few times throughout this guide, and there is a good reason for it. If you are serious about your craft, it sometimes means that your tools end up getting put through the ringer. Working with equipment that has been built to last will save you money in the long run, and it will also spare you from the frustration of busting up your gear while you work.
- Price: Of course, a price is always something to consider. As you’ve probably noticed prices range pretty significantly on this list so no matter what your range there is something out there for everyone.
Router Bits Safety
Since you are going to be investing in a router, and router bit set, it is important that you know how to use it, and more importantly how to use it safely.
We will take a look at a couple of doing it yourself jobs in just one second but before we do just remember that safety comes first. Before you start your work, be sure to put on safety gloves and goggles, and remember that a router is a powerful tool, so keep your appendages away from the cutting surface.
Now that we have the safety recommendations out of the way let’s take a look at a couple do it yourself projects you can use your new equipment for.
A router can be easily used to round off the edge of a table, which can be both aesthetically pleasing and safe for households that have small children in them. To do this is simple. First, hook your bit up to your router then set the appropriate depth. After that, you will only run the router over the edge of the table’s corner until it is smooth and rounded.
If you want to add a simple homemade touch to your kitchen, you can also easily use your router to make a cutting board out of a rectangular piece of wood.
The first thing that you will want to do is round the edges of the cutting board the same way that you did with the table in the last example. You will then hollow out a groove about an inch from the edge of the board all around each edge. The grooves and the edges are entirely cosmetic, so you can feel free to get as creative as you want with it.
Well, there you have it, a list of the best router bits! As I said, I favor the Stalwart set, but they are all good buying options.
Consider your unique needs as you look into buying your router bit set and there is no going wrong!
Check out the top rated Router Bits that we select and why.