Are you losing sleep because your cat wants an early breakfast? I used to have a cat that would sit on me, waiting for my eyes to open and as soon as I peeked out through half-closed eyelids, he would start meowing to let me know he was hungry. Not all cats have such good manners. I’m sure all cat owners have experienced a cat’s hungry cry at 5 am and would love to know how to get them to stop that annoying habit.
Well, I have the answer…get a cat feeder! This will allow your cat to be more independent while you get your sleep, work, or go on vacation! If you’ve never used any type of automatic cat feeder, you will be surprised and just a bit overwhelmed by what they can do. But I will help you with that. I’ll go over the types of dispensers, what to consider when buying and descriptions of the best cat feeders so you can see what will work for you and your furry friend.
Types of Cat Feeders
- 1 Types of Cat Feeders
- 2 The 5 Best Cat Feeders
- 3 Things to Consider When Buying a Cat Feeder
- 4 Conclusion
Besides having a cat feeder to feed your cat when you’re not home, there are other reasons to have one, such as dietary needs. My cat could eat all day long; having a dispenser prevented her from overeating. There are several types of cat feeders so before you start shopping, let’s check out each and their different uses and benefits.
- Basic gravity feeders are good for being away for a day or two. They consist of a hopper that holds one or two pounds of dry cat food that fills the dish a little at a time as the cat eats the food. This type is good for cats that don’t overeat and are the lowest cost.
- Feeders with battery-operated timers will spring open and give access food tray that can be used for wet food. It is good for daily use and can be set for 48 hours.
- Electric feeders with timers are programmable, for automatic portion control that can be set on the LCD display panel.
- Electric feeders for wet canned cat food or dry food with programmable timers.
The 5 Best Cat Feeders
The list below will review five of the best cat feeders available based on their functionality and popularity.
You can free up your to-do list with the Healthy Pet Simply Feed automatic feeder. You can program it to feed your cat up to 12 meals a day, with portions measured from 1/8 cup to 4 cups. It will also dispense either dry or semi-moist food slowly, over 15 minutes, so that your cat won’t eat too fast, which can sometimes cause vomiting. I like that you can see when the food is running low through the translucent hopper, which stores up to 24 cups of food. It is made of BPA-free plastic and stainless steel and comes with a stainless steel bowl that is dishwasher safe. It is battery-powered with an average battery life of a year and has an optional power adaptor that is sold separately.
The Home Intuition Automatic Pet Feeder is easy to use and can be programmed for up to six meals a day of dry food only; It can also be programmed to set portions according to your cat’s weight. The LCD screen has a clock and you can even record a personal message to call your cat at feeding time. The design is circular, with six large food trays and each of the six meals can be portioned according to your cat’s size or appetite. It requires four C batteries.