Best Carbon Steel Wok Reviews and Comparison Buying Guide (2018)
A wok is a round cooking utensil that can be used to prepare different dishes. Originating from China, it has slowly become a kitchen staple all over the world- and with good reason. Woks are versatile, allowing for quick and tasty meals that can be made all in one dish; similar to a crockpot, but better, as you an sear meats and create a variety of textures. Really, there is nothong you can’t do woth a wok: stir frying, steaming, poaching, boiling, stewing, braising, roasting nuts, making soup- you crave it, you can make it.
This type of cooking utensil is made with different materials, but the most common is carbon steel. The best carbon steel woks are affordable, lightweight, heat up quickly and are durable.
This review summarizes the 5 best Carbon Steel Woks, educating you about their different features and styles in order to help you choose which one is best for you.
The Contenders for Best Carbon Steel Woks are as Follows:
- 1 The Contenders for Best Carbon Steel Woks are as Follows:
- 1.1 KEN HOM Non-Stick Carbon Steel Wok, 14.25″ (Our Best Seller)
- 1.2 Joyce Chen 21-9978 Classic Series 14 Inch Carbon Steel Wok (Best Steel Work for the Money)
- 1.3 Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen 14-inch Carbon Steel Flat Bottom Lidded Wok Set
- 1.4 Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series 4-Piece Carbon-Steel Wok Set
- 1.5 14 Inch Carbon Steel Wok w/ Helper Handle (Flat Bottom) USA Made
- 2 Features to Consider When Choosing a Carbon Steel Work
- 3 Benefits of Owning a Carbon-Steel Wok
- 4 Our Carbon Steel Work Finalists
- 4.1 Ken Home Non-Stick Carbon Steel Wok, 14.25 inches, Black
- 4.2 Joyce Chen 21-9978, Classic Series 14 inch Carbon Steel Wok
- 4.3 Helen Chens Asian Kitchen 14-inch Carbon Steel Flat Bottom Lidded Wok Set
- 4.4 Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series 4-Piece Carbon-Steel Wok Set
- 4.5 14 inch Carbon Steel Wok w/ Help Handle (Flat Bottom) USA Made
- 5 Types of Carbon Steel Woks
- 6 Carbon Steel Wok Buying Tips
- 7 Seasoning a Wok
- 8 Care and Maintenance
KEN HOM Non-Stick Carbon Steel Wok, 14.25″ (Our Best Seller)
What customers love most about this product is how well constructed it is and also the fact that it is non-stick. The non-stick aspect of this pan makes it easy to clean up as food hardly sticks to the pot. And the best part is that it is dishwasher safe.
Joyce Chen 21-9978 Classic Series 14 Inch Carbon Steel Wok (Best Steel Work for the Money)
With this wok you can also deep fry, steam and simmer your foods. This wok heats up well so your food will cook the way it should. For full flavoring the pan should be seasoned before it is first used. Tt is also part of the classic series by Joyce Chen.
- Long birch wooden handle and side helper handle to make lifting easy
- Handles stay cool on the stove top so no pot holders needed
- Curved side that help with tossing and stirring
- Deep enough to cook a whole fish
- It has multiple uses, i.e. simmer, deep-frying, steaming etc.
- A customer who purchased this item complained that he wasn’t able to put this wok in his oven because of its wooden handles
It features a high domed lid, that allows for steaming, along with wooden, heat resistant handles. The pan has a long handle and a loop handle, while the domed lid has a wooden stay cool knob. This product should be seasoned before use. The 14″ wok is big enough to make a family dinner, but can also be used by individuals.
- It is easy to clean, just use hot water and a bristle brush
- 1.6 mm carbon steel so this item is heats up evenly is sturdy and will last long
- Flat bottomed so can be used on both gas and electric stovetops
- 3 stay cool handles one on the domed lid a loop handle on the wok and a long handle opposite
- Big enough to cook a family dinner
Customers who have used this product like that they don’t need pot holders to lift this pot as its wooden handles stay cool. They also love the combination of the long handle and the little helper handle. Which makes it easy for them to work with the pan.
As with other carbon woks, this item should be seasoned before use. Hand washing is recommended for this cooking pan and it should also be dried before storing. This product makes an ideal gift as it comes in a gift box.
- Its nonstick steel dome lid keeps the heat moisture and nutrients in
- Features Birchwood stay cool handles
- Heats up fast and evenly
- Can be used both on gas stoves and electric
- Comes with a recipe book to get you started
- Ideal for use as a gift for someone special
- Some customers complained that this wok does not withstand high heat as their cooking got burnt.
Customers who purchased this product love that it is light-weight which makes lifting a breeze. They also confirm that as long as the wok is properly seasoned before use, it will produce good results and cleanup is easy.
- No toxic non-stick coating
- Long wooden handles
- Flat bottomed so can be used on both gas and electric stove tops
- The 14″ diameter 6″bottom and 4″dept make it sizable enough for large cooking
- Heats up quickly
- Some customers complained that It did not sit flat on their glass top cookers. However this product is not even recommended for glass tops.
Most customers love that this wok can be used on any range of stove top because of its flat bottom design. They also love its padded bottom of steel as it helps the wok hold heat very well.
Features to Consider When Choosing a Carbon Steel Work
Carbon steel is the most popular choice of woks because it heats up quickly, transfers heat evenly, produces its own nonstick coating and is affordable. However there are factors to consider when choosing a wok.
If you use a gas stovetop, either a rounded bottom or flat bottomed wok will perform well. However, if your cooker is electric or an induction range, you should go for the flat-bottomed style because it will sit comfortably on top of it without wobbling.
Size and Height
The height and diameter of the product should be considered. Also check its concave properties. If you get one that is too deep, the heat will be retained in the bottom and the transfer of heat to the sides will not be adequate and reslt in uneven cooking.
On the other hand, if it is too shallow you will not be able to move and toss foods up the sides. The ideal diameter should be a 14 inch pan with a minimum of 5 inches for the flat bottomed ones, and a depth of 4 inches.
Woks come with different handles: some have a long handle on one side and a loop handle on the other side, some come with two small loop handles opposite each other, while others simply have only one long handle. All the handles serve the same purpose: to lift the wok up. Choose your wok based on your preference and technique.
Accessories and Utensils
Some woks are sold individually while others come in a set that consists of a lid, ladle, burner rings steamer tray, spatula, etc.
Deccide what you will use the wok for before you choose one. Besides stir frying, there are other options like steaming, smoking and deep frying and all these will require extra pieces for successful cooking.
These pans sustain a lot of wear and tear, and although they should last longer than 10 years it is recommended that they should be replaced every decade.
Benefits of Owning a Carbon-Steel WokEvery kitchen should have a wok. Whether you are steaming, stir frying, stewing or deep frying this cooking pan has several benefits.
- It can be used as a frying pan as well. Woks are also perfect for deep frying
- they are generally affordable.
- last long
- Tossing foods during stir-frying easily land back in the pan. If you use any other pan that is not a wok to stir-fry tossing foods will be almost impossible
- Lightweight which makes it easy to lift and toss food. Carbon steel woks are generally lightweight lifting up your pan while cooking is easy with carbon steel woks.
Our Carbon Steel Work Finalists
Ken Home Non-Stick Carbon Steel Wok, 14.25 inches, Black
This sturdy built carbon steel wok is made with non stick, PFOA-free coating inside and outside the pan, so cleanup is easy and you don’t have to worry about it scratching or rusting. It Weighs 3.5 pounds and has a dimension of 24 x 14 x 4 inches.
Joyce Chen 21-9978, Classic Series 14 inch Carbon Steel Wok
This product is made out of natural Carbon Steel, has a diameter of 23.5 x 14 x 4 inches, and weighs 3.4 pounds. It features a birch wood handle for easy lifting and a 1.5 mm gauge Carbon Steel body. It is sturdy and guarantees an excellent cooking experience
Helen Chens Asian Kitchen 14-inch Carbon Steel Flat Bottom Lidded Wok Set
The Helen Chen’s kitchen wok set comes with a domed metal lid, measuring 19 x 14 x 10 inches and weighing 5 pounds. This item is made out of 1.6 mm carbon steel and has wooden handles, so you are guaranteed durability. It is also compatible with electric stoves and gas.
Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series 4-Piece Carbon-Steel Wok Set
This item is made of 1-1/2 mm gauge carbon steel, so cooking is fast and heat distribution is even. It has two Birchwood handles that stays cool, for easy cooking and maipulation. With its nonstick steel dome lid the heat, moisture, and nutrients of your food are contained, for optimal cooking every time. This product dimension is 23.2 x 14 x 5.6 inches and it weighs 5.7 pounds.
14 inch Carbon Steel Wok w/ Help Handle (Flat Bottom) USA Made
Made with heavy 14-gauge carbon steel, it has a dimension of 13 x 10.5 x 6 inches and it weighs 7.5 pounds, this is a sturdy product. This wok also consists of a wooden side spool handle and a flat bottom to allow it sit comfortably on an electric stove or a grill.
Types of Carbon Steel Woks
This design has a flat bottom that sits well on either a gas stove top or an electric stove top
This design will only sit comfortably on a gas stove top. If used on an electric stove top it will tip.
Carbon Steel Wok Buying Tips
Before you buy any of these great models from our list, there are some things you need to consider:
- Who are you buying for? Is this a gift for a single relative or coworker or a mom of four kids? Who is using it will determine the size of the wok. There are many sizes to choose from and getting the right one is important; if its too small they’ll spend too much time cooking multiple servings and if it’s too big you may pay more when you don’t have to.
- What does it come with? Many brands come with recipe books, utensils or extras like a steaming plate or deep fry rack. You may get a better value for your money and the extras can help make cooking easier. For instance, some come with a special whisk for cleaning.
- Flat or round bottom? What you cook on is the best way to determine if you get a flat or round bottom. Round bottoms can reflect heat, so they are not recommended for electric stoves. Flat bottoms are good for electric and gas so check if you are giving one as a gift.
Seasoning a Wok
Carbon steel woks need to be seasoned before you use them and will become non-stick over time. All new woks are coated with a factory oil to protect them, so the first thing you need to do is thoroughly wash it; then you can season. Here’s how:
- Wash your wok with soap and water and scrub thoroughly; then place it over a flame and let it get hot. To test it flick it with water- if the water evaporates it’s ready to go.
- Once it is heated take it off the flame, let it cool a moment and then add a little oil (maybe a tablespoon); swirl it to coat all the sides.
- Now place it back on the stove and add some seasonings; I recommended some scallions and ginger.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let them cook 15-50 minutes, being sure to move them all around the sides too; when the color of the wok changes from silver to yellow/brown (there can also be hints of blue, black or bright yellow) it’s seasoned.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool, removing whatever aromatics you chose; wash with hot water only- no sponge
- Put it back over the flame and let dry for a minute or 2. If there is any residue use paper towels to remove.
Care and Maintenance
- These woks should be seasoned before use.
- It should also be hand washed and dried properly with a towel before storage.
- Avoid using soap to wash. Never use detergent or soap to wash a wok. It should be washed in hot water and a sponge can be used to remove burnt on particles
- The wok should be oiled with a paper towel after washing and drying. Woks have the tendency of developing rust spots. When it is oiled and stored, it is protected from rust.
Customer Common Questions and Answers
Q: Does the carbon steel wok work well with ceramics stove tops?
A: Yes it does.
A: No flat bottom woks sits squarely on any stove top.
Q: How often do you season it?
A: After every use.
In conclusion, woks have to be used for a period of time before they develop their deep patina and non-stick coating. When the wok is new or hasn’t been used many times, the seasoning could feel gummy, develop rust spots or look splotchy. This shouldn’t bother you. All you need to do is keep cooking and when you have cooked with the wok for long enough, the patina will develop.
With these 5 best carbon steel woks review choosing one for your kitchen should make easy.
Compare the best Carbon Steel Woks and read our expert reviews.