In my house, there is only one chore that strikes fear in the hearts of my children and husband, and that’s taking out the trash. It is a cumbersome, time-consuming, and smelly task that needs to be done several times a week, causing everyone to scatter like mice- with me left holding the bag (literally). Which is why I decided to invest in a trash compactor- and it’s the best decision I ever made.
Compactors are efficient, powerful and good for the environment, reducing waste volume and late night trips to the curb (something your family will love you for). They are handy and practical, but choosing one can be hard, which is where I come in. Having done extensive research before buying my own, I’m going to pass on what I learned to you with this Best Trash Compactor review.
My review contains essential information on how to use a compactor, what to look for when buying one, pricing options, and a look at the top models on the market. So, all you have to do is read up, then run out and get one.
What is a Trash Compactor?
- 1 What is a Trash Compactor?
- 2 The Top 7 Trash Compactors in the Market
- 3 1. Broan 15WH Elite Trash Compactor with Storage Compartment and Odor Control System (Best Trash Compactor of the Year)
- 4 2. Household Essentials Trash Krusher Manual Trash Compactor in 40 L
- 5 3. Krushr K024 Panel Required Compactor (Premium Compactor)
- 6 4. Gladiator GACP15XXMG Modular Garage Trash Compactor (Our Best Seller)
- 7 5. Broan 15BL Elite Trash Compactor with Storage Compartment (Best for the Money)
- 8 6. GE GCG1500RWW Profile 15″ White Built-In Fully Integrated Trash Compactor
- 9 7. Whirlpool Built-In Full Console Trash Compactor
- 10 Why You Need a Trash Compactor? Are Trash Compactors Worth it?
- 11 What to look for When Buying a Compactor
- 12 Pros and Cons of Trash Compactors
- 13 Trash Compactors: Your New Best Friend
Trash compactors may look like your average garbage can, but they are anything but average. These motorized appliances push down garbage into a compactor safe bag, reducing wastes by up to 80%. The bags are the same size as your average trash bag; they are just reinforced to withstand the pressure.
Garbage can be compressed multiple times before emptying it, and they can cram food, plastics, paper, tins and other essential household materials. The only exceptions are glass, which can be a bit risky and may poke through bags, wood, and electronics.
Easy to use and available in an assortment of sizes and styles, they fit any lifestyle and any size household. There are free-standing models that can go on any space, under the counter models, and ones with a finished top to extend counter space. They also require minimal maintenance and cleaning.
The Top 7 Trash Compactors in the Market
Now that you know what you want and need, it’s time to look at the 5 best models on the market.
1. Broan 15WH Elite Trash Compactor with Storage Compartment and Odor Control System (Best Trash Compactor of the Year)
Sleek and efficient, this 1.55 cubic ft. free-standing appliance is great for any size home, especially larger ones with kids thanks to enhanced power and child-safety features.It can reduce 6 bags of garbage down to 1 thanks to a ¾ horsepower motor that exudes 3000 lbsof force. Even more impressive is the automatic program feature. You can schedule when the garbage gets done and then forget about it, taking convenience to a whole new level.
This also means bi-weekly garbage trips and less clutter. Fitted with an odor disk, which is good for 6 months of fresh smelling garbage, and 3 fitted bags, the Elite delivers odorless compacting in sturdy bags that won’t rip or tear.
Finally, the child lock ensures kids can’t get inside, so you can rest easy knowing their safe. A good family model that won’t break the bank.