There is a war in my house, one I seem to lose day after day; I’m talking of course, about the battle to find the perfect temperature. Either the thermostat is too low and I find myself huddled under the blankets at 3 a.m., too tired to get up and raise the temperature or the house is too warm when I get home from work. But this year, victory is mine because I’ve discovered the answer to this pesky problem: Wi-Fi thermostats.
These easy to install devices let you control the temperature from anywhere using your voice or an app, leaving you comfy and cool year-round. Check out our Guide to the best Wi-Fi Thermostats, complete with buying tips and in-depth reviews to find the right device for you!
Wi-Fi Thermostats: The Smart Choice
- 1 Wi-Fi Thermostats: The Smart Choice
- 2 5 Top Rated Wi-Fi Thermostats – Which one is the Best?
- 2.1 1. Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation Working with Amazon Alexa
- 2.2 2. ecobee3 lite Smart Thermostat 2nd Gen, Works with Amazon Alexa
- 2.3 3. Sensi Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat
- 2.4 4. Honeywell RCHT8610WF2006 Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Smart 7 Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat with Geofencing, Works with Apple Home kit
- 2.5 5. Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Wi-Fi 7 Day Programmable Color Touch Thermostat, Works with Amazon Alexa
- 3 Wi-Fi Thermostat Basics
- 4 What to Consider Before You Buy
We will review 5 of the best devices around, and while all have features worth considering, our overall top pick is the Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Gen. Thanks to its innovative features, reasonable pricing, and easy usage it edges out the others on this list. However, the other devices also have a lot to offer, and some may or may not work with your existing system, so check out all 5 reviews before you buy.
5 Top Rated Wi-Fi Thermostats – Which one is the Best?
Now that you have a clear understanding of what these devices can do, it’s time to look at the best of the best Wi-Fi thermostats. Each review will highlight the best features as well as explain any shortcomings to help you make the best choice.
Sleek and polished, this latest offering from Nest is a dream when it comes to heating and cooling your home. Thanks to its intuitive programming and easy to use app, you can save money without sacrificing comfort. Users love the digital display, which lights up when you enter the room, as well as its focus on savings. Among its best selling points are:
- Energy Saving: The Learning Thermostat uses a little leaf to let you know when you have it at a temperature that saves money; it also lets you know through the app what your energy history is, so you can see when and how you use your system and make changes where necessary.
- Auto-Schedule: Thanks to an intuitive design, you no longer need to set a heat or cooling schedule; the Nest will learn your patterns and program itself. That means you won’t waste energy when you’re out, and you’ll stay comfortable when you’re home- without having to lift a finger.
- Easy -to- Use: Connect the Nest to Wi-Fi, and you can control it using your phone, laptop, tablet; it’s also compatible with Amazon’s Alexa for hands-free operation.
The one drawback to the Nest is that installation can be complicated if you’re a novice; they do offer installation, but it will cost you more so you need to factor that in if you don’t know how to do it yourself.
The epitome of convenience, the Ecobee3 Lite is great for any smart home or those looking to control the temperature in specific rooms/zones. Known for its energy efficiency, it allows users to control the temperature from multiple locations and has a straightforward functionality that makes it easy to operate. It is also compatible with Android and Apple, which is a rarity. Among its top features are:
- Spot Control: The Ecobee3 Lite can be paired with room sensors to eliminate hot or cold spots anywhere in the house; not only does this keep you comfortable year-round, but it also saves you money and can help you discover and fix existing problems.
- Remote Access: Using the easy-to-follow app you can adjust the temperature from your couch, work, or the airport. No matter where you are you can communicate with the Ecobee3 and raise or lower it.
- Seamless Integration: The Ecobee3 works with Android, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, IFTTT, and is Apple HomeKit enabled, making it the ideal device for most smart homes as it fits in seamlessly; no hours of programming or connecting necessary.
For many, this device ranked high, with the only complaint being customer service is lacking. Many experienced long wait times and less-than-friendly reps; this can be a turn-off, but in reality, you shouldn’t need customer service all that often.